Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Engine mounts. 351W into Customline.

The car has returned with engine mounts which will enable the Windsor to sit snugly into the bay.
Everyone I spoke to about fitting this engine into the car told me that, what I needed was a Bronco sump. This was a reverse sump, the oil pick up is at the rear of the engine using this sump will clear the crossmember at the front and the steering in the rear.
This was true to a small extent, because the engine sits higher in the bay it clears the sum and the steering but, you have to cut and modify the transmission tunnel to clear the trany.
In the end to keep the engine low and as far back as functionally possible, the only option was to use a standard Windsor sump and section the crossmember give some clearance around the sump on all sides. Then to replace and reinforce the crossmember by welding in steel plate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I came across you blog, it's a great read. I'm restoring a 53 also. And like you was told a 351 with the reverse sump would fit. There are a few too many experts out there. I have since also bought 302 windsor which fits better.
dave..
drichardson@iinet.net.au